Instrumental Music, Band/Strings, Audition Requirements, Grades 3 - 4
For students in grades 3-4 at time of audition:
- Each student may audition on the instrument of their choice.
- Each student should prepare two pieces of contrasting styles (fast/slow or from different time periods).
- Students should choose music that reflects their interpretive and technical abilities.
- Suggested repertoire might include selections from: Any instrument-specific solo literature/etude books typically 1–3 grade levels above.
- Students should ask their music teacher for help as needed.
- Note: Student MUST perform unaccompanied!
- Memorization of the music is optional but highly encouraged and may improve overall audition score.
- Video Submissions: All prepared portions of the auditions will be submitted on video. Your school arts teacher or gifted and talented resource teacher will help with submission.
- SCAPA Bluegrass: Students wishing to be considered for a placement at SCAPA Bluegrass must complete the district’s Special Programs Application on SchoolMint. There are no additional audition requirements beyond what is listed above.
- Recommendations: Applicants may also include, as additional evidence for GT identification, one or more positive recommendations from an arts teacher/professional who knows you as an artist. Reference contacts will be submitted and sent through SchoolMint.
- Instruments: For potential SCAPA placement, you may only audition on one of the following instruments:
- Band: Flute, Trumpet, Euphonium/Baritone, Trombone, Tuba, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bassoon, Oboe, Percussion
- Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass
- For other specific questions about SCAPA Bluegrass, please consult the SCAPA Bluegrass Audition Website or contact Carla Pleasant, SCAPA Bluegrass facilitator.
**Non-FCPS students will attend an audition date on a weekday after school hours to complete the on-demand activities.