Strings Audition Requirements, Grades 5-7
For students in grades 5-7 at time of audition:
- Each student may audition on the string instrument of their choice.
- Each student should prepare two pieces of contrasting styles (fast/slow or from different time periods).
- Students should choose music that reflects their interpretive and technical abilities.
- Suggested repertoire might include selections from: Any instrument-specific solo literature/etude books typically 1–3 grade levels above.
- Students should ask their music teacher for help as needed.
- PLEASE NOTE: Student MUST perform unaccompanied!
- Memorization of the music is optional but highly encouraged and may improve overall audition score.
- On-Demand Scales: Students will be asked to play several major scales selected from the following: F Major, C Major, G Major, D Major, A Major
- On-Demand Sight-Reading: Sight-reading will also be a part of the on-demand audition. Exercises will include the following criteria:
- Keys include: D Major or G Major
- 1 or 2 accidentals
- 2/4 or 4/4 meter
- Rhythmic values will include: dotted half notes, dotted quarter notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, half notes, whole notes and all equivalent rests.
- Various dynamic ranges and articulations
- Video Submissions: All prepared and on-demand portions of the auditions will be submitted on video. Your school arts teacher or gifted and talented resource teacher will help with submission.
- SCAPA Bluegrass: Students wishing to be considered for a placement at SCAPA Bluegrass must complete the district’s Special Programs Application on SchoolMint. There are no additional audition requirements beyond what is listed above.
- Recommendations: Applicants may also include, as additional evidence for GT identification, one or more positive recommendations from an arts teacher/professional who knows you as an artist. Reference contacts will be submitted and sent through SchoolMint.
- Instruments: For potential SCAPA placement, you may only audition on one of the following instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello, or String Bass.
- For other specific questions about SCAPA Bluegrass, please consult the SCAPA Bluegrass Audition Website or contact Carla Pleasant, SCAPA Bluegrass facilitator.
**Non-FCPS students will attend a recording session on a weekday to record the on-demand activities.